Thursday, December 6, 2012

Language

lan·guage  
  1. The method of human communication, either spoken or written, consisting of the use of words in a structured and conventional way.
  2. Any nonverbal method of expression or communication: "a language of gesture and facial expression".


Language is a phenomenal thing.  It can be warm, complimentary, and sincere.  It can be opinionated, cutting, and harsh.  It can be honest.  It can mislead.  It can define how we view ourselves.  Language shapes who we are and represents our true, inner being to those around us.  Whether spoken or non-verbal, we're communicating constantly...even when we don't realize it.  

This convicts me. 

 I can have some pretty intense facial expressions, as some of you already know.  I even have this permanent "crinkle" between my eyebrows from my "focused" or "deep-in-thought" face.  I also find my facial expressions rubbing off on Mya.  At the age of two, she can already create a variety of facial expressions...and has been known to make some silly expressive faces even from the time she was pretty little. 

 I enjoy playing a game with Mya where she and I stand in front of a mirror, and I tell her a feeling (like "surprised," "scared," or "excited), and she has to make that expression on her face (...we borrowed this idea from a recent Sesame Street episode where they do the same thing).  She loves it.  I love it.  

And, every single time we play this, the game ends up with the two of us giggling contagiously.  

Although my intent in playing this game isn't anything more than just the two of us having fun together, I'm realizing more and more that is important for her and me (and all of us) to be aware of what our faces are telling others.  Sometimes we don't even realize that an expression on our face is very different from what we're actually feeling at that moment.  

So, what is your face communicating to others today?  Maybe you have some funny or interesting stories you'd like to share.  Feel free to comment below.  


No comments:

Post a Comment