Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Self-Image...Yuck!

Why is it that we're so critical of ourselves...of our self-image?  We don't like certain things about how we look.  We always notice "those things" when we look in the mirror.  When we try on clothes.  When we're around others.

Comparing.

Why can't we just be content with who we are and how we're made?

I've often thought about this because I, too, am critical of myself.  I always have been.  I don't like it.  I don't like it about myself.  It's not fair to treat myself this way.  It feels so self-centered at times.  It can even border on the line of perfectionism.

I was reminded of it the other night when I attempted to purchase a new pair of pants at Target.  I spent nearly thirty-minutes trying on close to a dozen different pairs.  I tried them on...retried them on...narrowed it down to a few...and FINALLY walked away with pants that fit.  While in the fitting room...staring at myself under those fantastic florescent lights...I couldn't help but feel critical.  Ugh.

I administered self-talk, reminding myself to not look at the number on the pants...the size...but to look for what fits best.  For what makes me feel good in...or at least okay in.  I reminded myself that I was made in the image of God.  For a purpose.  For a reason.  I am this way...with purpose!  I am supposed to be this...exactly how God formed me.

And, let's be honest.  There is so much truth in the statement:  It's not what's on the OUTSIDE that counts but what's on the INSIDE.  We've all heard that.  We know that.

But do we truly KNOW that?
Do we believe that?

It's all about our heart.  The inside...not the outside.  How we love and care for others.  How we relate to others and show compassion and empathy.  How we reach out.  How we give.  How we forgive.  The list could go on and on.

In these moments of doubting my self-image, I can rest in knowing that I am NOT perfect...I never will be...and that's TOTALLY fine.  I don't need to look a certain way to love others.  I don't need to look a certain way to show compassion...to reach out and help those in need.  It just doesn't matter.  And, that feels really reassuring.  Let's rest in knowing (and believing!) that we're all created in the image of God.  With a purpose!

No comments:

Post a Comment