Tuesday, February 12, 2013

UPDATE: To ask...or not to ask? That is the question!

So, I did it.  I asked.

I'm still in denial a bit.  I really did it.  I stepped out of my comfort zone and proposed the idea of becoming mentors to my dear friend.  And, in case you're wondering...yes, in a way, it was totally like asking someone to prom.  I had the butterflies in my stomach.  I stuttered.  I probably even had the slightly clammy hands and slightly sweaty arm pits.  Ha!  (And, to be honest...I'm suspecting that my dear friend will LAUGH, possibly even out loud, when she reads this blog about how I felt...because we've known each other for years, and so, it's kind of comical that I'd allow myself to get nervous over this.)  

But, it was all okay.

It didn't matter in the end that I stuttered.  It didn't matter that I didn't know exactly what to say or how to say it.  It just didn't.  Because in the end, she said, "Yes."

I am beyond grateful for her role in my life.  For her example.  For her genuine love and care for me and for our family.  I am inspired by her.  I am inspired by who she's continuing to become.  Made in the image of God.  Growing in her faith.  Taking risks.  Embracing challenges.

And, that's EXACTLY how I want to live my life.

Not always in comfort.  Not always the safe way.  I want to live wisely, presenting things humbly before God, asking Him to guide and direct me.  I want to accept challenges and enable God to work in me and through me.  I'm excited to meet with her regularly, to pray together, to hold one another accountable.  I'm thankful that God has placed her in my life.

We don't know what all it means to be mentors.  We aren't following a formula.  But, we do know how to care for one another.  How to reach out to each other.  How to love and care and pray for one another.  And, I'm thinking that's an okay place to start.

So, with open and teachable hearts, we're officially entering the world of mentoring.  I'm filled with a deep thankfulness...feeling very blessed today.  I'm thankful that there are so many wonderful people in my life, including my dear friend & mentor, who make an impact on I am, who bless me richly...daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment