Saturday, March 30, 2013

Jesus - In her belly?

This morning, Mya was extra cuddly when she first woke up.  I love to take advantage of those extra-hug moments, knowing that they will decrease with time.  While rocking her, she noticed her board book called, "The Easter Story."  We had pulled this book off the shelf earlier in the month and started reading it to her, so she'd become more familiar with what Easter's all about.  As she often does, she started listing random facts from the story....

"Jesus rode on a donkey."
"Hosanna, Hosanna, Hosanna to our King." 
"Cross."  

I reminded her that Jesus died on the cross.  And He's now in Heaven, and she can see Him one day when she asks Him to live in her heart.  

Now, having worked at a preschool, I knew that telling her this could elicit some pretty fun responses. It's such a tough concept for adults...let alone little ones...to understand how this man Jesus can "fit inside our heart."  Crazy, huh?  Her response?

"Mommy, Shhh.  He's in here."  [She pointed to her belly.]
"Where is He?"  I asked.
She lifted up her shirt and pointed to her belly.  

I cracked up laughing.  I love the innocence and sweet thoughts of little ones.  Certainly, they can be demanding, cranky, and full of tantrums.  But their sweet and very pure thoughts have a way of touching our hearts and making us smile (or laugh out loud).  I love that their childlike faith can be so profound, too.  It speaks to us.  It challenges us to think about things differently.  

You may or may not have celebrated Easter throughout this week.  Palm Sunday.  Maundy Thursday.  Good Friday.  But we now prepare to celebrate Easter Sunday.  Thinking of Christ's death on the cross for ours sins...my sins.  

And remembering that He did not stay dead.  He rose again.  Ascended into Heaven.  Giving us hope for eternal life...through Him.  

I'm thankful for what this week symbolizes as we celebrate it each year.  And as I grow older, it speaks to me differently each year and touches my heart in new ways.  It challenges me.  And for this, I am thankful.  For Christ's death and resurrection.  For the hope that this gives me.  For the beauty of the season and all of its symbolism.  I am blessed.  I am thankful.  Happy Easter to you and your family.  




No comments:

Post a Comment