Wednesday, April 10, 2013

FUN in the SUN

Everybody's talking about this crazy, warm weather we're experiencing on the East Coast this week.

Let me tell you...I am LOVING it!

Earlier in the week at the first sign of warmer temps, I had every window in our house opened, allowing that fresh Spring air inside.  It wasn't until last night before bed...when our home's INDOOR temp peaked at EIGHTY-ONE degrees that we finally gave in, closed the windows, and started the air conditioning...in April.

I love that the warmer weather pulls us outdoors.  It reunites us with neighbors.  Allows playtime to extend into the evening.  Encourages spontaneous ice cream treats.  It has a way of rejuvenating us.  Exciting us for summer.

And with temperatures reaching the low 80's today and friends coming over to hangout this morning, we anticipated another fun day outdoors.  As my friend and I ventured outdoors with our two little ladies, the former preschool teacher came out in me, and I had an idea.  Why not let the girls play with water?...and ice?  They could paint and write with it.  They could get wet, and it wouldn't matter.  And so I gathered some paintbrushes, plastic cups filled with ice cubes, and a small dish filled with water...and headed outdoors.  The toddlers LOVED it!



They "painted toenails" with water.
They "painted" the sidewalk.
They drew lines and polka dots.
And they gathered ice cubes and added them to the cups and mixed them with water (and so on).  You get the idea.  :)

I love how the simplest things can create so much fun for little ones.  Water/Ice + Paintbrushes + Cups + A Water Dish = A good 20 (or so) minutes of playtime.  Contentment.  Pure happiness.  And, it allowed us mommas to have some less-interrupted talk time...which is a blessing!

Happy Spring, Everyone.  Get outdoors and enjoy this time of year!




2 comments:

  1. Great idea! I remember Sarah and "Sarah K" (as we called her) painted our fence one day with big buckets of water and paint brushes. They had a blast and it allowed me to finish some yard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a great idea, too, Amy! Thanks for sharing. :) I think it's so cool when the simplest things create hours of fun!

      Delete