Monday, June 10, 2013

Learning to Share Our Adoption Story...Publicly

A couple of months ago, a dear friend invited me to speak at our local Chick-fil-A's "Come & Play" time.  A time when (mostly) moms bring their young children to the restaurant to play on the indoor playground, interact with other moms and children, do crafts, and...recently, the fourth week of every month, hear a person share about their blog, their non-profit, etc.

I was asked to share our adoption story.  

Without hesitation, I responded to my friend's request with excitement that I would be thrilled to share our journey.  

I had never done something like this by myself.  You see, we've shared our adoption story before...to youth groups, with our friends and family, at retreats...but I had always done it with Brandon by my side...filling in the details that I neglected and bouncing the conversations of our journey back-and-forth from one another.  

As I prepared to share at Chick-fil-A, it was neat to relive our journey (again).  

I reflected on the dates.  When we visited our first informational meeting at Bethany Christian Services.  When we completed our home study.  When we officially joined the waiting list of hopeful families desiring to add a child to their family.  How long we waited.  And when we finally got "the call" that Mya's birthmom wanted to meet us...and that she wanted us to meet Mya.  

And as I reflected on the dates, it brought back the different emotions.  Excitement and anticipation.  Longing...and I mean, loooonging, for something.  Grieving.  Hoping and trusting.  Questioning.  But continuing to trust.  

And it reminded me of how much I learned about myself and how much I grew in that time of struggle.  About how I wouldn't change any of it.  (I shared this at Chick-fil-A, too.)  All of those raw emotions have given me a greater appreciation for life and for my relationship with my Lord.  I've grown deeper in my faith.  I've questioned, and I've gained a deeper understanding of God's sovereignty and provision.  And for that, I am thankful.

************

About two weeks ago, I ventured to Chick-fil-A and presented our story to a wonderful group of ladies on a Tuesday and a Wednesday.  And I was truly blessed by the support of those that came out to hear our story.  I loved the questions that they asked me.  Good, thought-provoking questions...Questions that not only helped them to understand adoption better but also helped us all to relate to one another better.  

I love how...
When we hear others' journeys, we relate to them.  
We connect with them.  
We have compassion and empathy towards them.  
And in the midst of my sharing, I felt that love and support by each person that came to support me.  

Our adoption story is much like most you'll hear.  Our story isn't perfect or any more special that others you will hear.  But I am thankful that I could share our experience, so others could better understand what it means to adopt and be an adoptive mom.  

**************

Within a few weeks of me agreeing to share our story at Chick-fil-A, I was asked by Brandon's sweet cousin to share our adoption story at the mom's group at her church.  Coincidental?  I think not.  I feel like the Lord is challenging me to step outside of my comfort zone again.  Challenging me to share.  And challenging me to trust Him...as I've agreed to share at this mom's group (which won't take place for many more months).  

But as I anticipate this next speaking engagement, I'm anxious to see how the Lord will stretch me to share just what He wants to me share...and to continue to learn just what He wants me to learn.  You see, sharing our adoption story...publicly...was NOT something that was on my radar.  Something I ever saw myself doing.  But I've already been deeply blessed in opening up to others and allowing them to hear the details of our adoption story.  

Who knows what the next few months or years will bring.  But what I do know is that God is with me each step of the way.  Challenging me to grow deeper...to lean on Him more...and to learn something new each day of my life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment