Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Chocolate Milk & Vanilla Ice Cream

As Mya was getting ready for bed last night, she was extra talkative.  Telling made-up stories, jibber-jabbering, and just being silly.  And as I was there with her, this brief conversation went down....

Me - "Mya, I just love the color of your skin.  It reminds me of chocolate milk."  
She pauses, looks at her skin, and smiles.  Within seconds, she replies.
Mya - "Mom, I love your skin.  It reminds me of vanilla ice cream."  

Yep, you're exactly right, honey.  And in that moment, my heart was filled with such joy and happiness.

We do have different skin.  We do look different on the outside.  And I love it.  I love that she can see the differences of our skin colors.  The difference is beautiful to me.  And I'm thankful for our differences.

When I anticipated being an adoptive mom...and then finding out that I would be an adoptive mom to our biracial daughter, I didn't know quite what to expect.  What it would be like to parent a child of another color.  It's been a learning process for sure...but so worth it and filled with rich blessings for us and our families.  I wouldn't change it for anything.

There's something so cool...so rewarding...when we, as humans, can embrace our differences and love one another just the way we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment