Friday, October 25, 2013

Childhood is a Journey...


I love this quote.  

I first saw it on Facebook and was thankful for the reminder.  So often, as a mom, I feel like I should be doing more, enrolling her in more.  And while I do enjoy being involved in several community activities and events and do support the many wonderful options that are out there for our littles, each family needs to do what's best for them.  And as I stopped for a moment to read this quote, it was a breath of fresh air to remember that it's okay to slow down, cherish today, and simply play.  

Having worked in a preschool for a couple of years, I gained a huge appreciation for early childhood education, and it opened my eyes to the importance of "play."  It was so neat to witness children learning so much...just by playing...with one another and by themselves.  As a mom, it's easy for me to get distracted and become busy, too...even with just the regular busyness of maintaining a household.  This quote reshifted my focus.  And I became much more aware of the learning opportunities and moments all around us, as parents, in a given day.  

************

The leaves are falling outside.  
Let your child run and play in them.  Have them stomp on them to hear them crunch.  Collect the leaves and glue them onto paper or place the leaves under the paper and use crayons to color over them.  Explore the different sizes, shapes, and colors of the leaves around you.  

Pumpkins are everywhere.  
And for really good prices right now.  Buy a couple.  Even different varieties.  Carve one together.  Paint one.  Cut one open and have your child play with the seeds and goo.  Roast the seeds in your oven.  

************

Sometimes the simplest things bring the greatest joy to our little ones' lives.  What other Fall ideas/activities do you enjoy doing with your children that incorporate play?  Please share!  



No comments:

Post a Comment