Friday, October 18, 2013

Life's Kinda Like a Marathon Race

Life's not easy.  More and more just when I think life is beginning to feel comfortable or normal, I'm reminded of how uncertain and uneasy life can be.  Life is scary.

It takes diligence and hardwork.  It takes perseverance and endurance.  It takes grace and mercy.  And it takes patience...reminding me of just how much I need to depend on God.  Just when I think I can tackle a problem or face an issue head on, I allow myself to believe that I am capable of handling it on my own. It can work for awhile.  I can begin to believe that I'm capable of anything and everything.  But the reality is, I can [only] "do all things through Christ who gives me strength." I can only face this life with the help of God.


When I think of running a race, I can't help but think of the race of life that we run.  My husband loves to run.  [I don't - It just doesn't come naturally to me.]  And for months now, he's trained and trained and trained some more for his second marathon.  I admire him so much.  His perseverance.  His drive.  His ability to set a goal, work hard for it, and achieve it.  Especially in the midst of everything else that life requires of him.  And I love the symbolism between the race of life that we run and the training that runners endure to face a race of any kind...a 5K, a race for education, a marathon, and so on.  It requires such focus and stamina.


But prepping for a race...specifically a marathon...is not easy.  And neither is life.  Here are some things that I've learned as the wife of a marathon runner.  Some things are silly, some things are from the heart.  But all things connect not just to running but to our race of life....



*Training for a marathon involves the entire family.  Figuring out when to run.  Fitting it into our schedules.  Watching the weather.  Planning for meals with lots of carbs on days with longer runs.  And I can attest that the second time around with this whole marathon training schedule, I had a much better idea of what it would involve for all of us...which allowed me to extend more grace and accept it better this time. Life requires the efforts and help of every individual in a family, too.

*Runners put in tons and tons of hours to prepare for a marathon.  Months of training in fact.  With that preparation, a marathon is STILL hard work.  Grueling.  But without that preparation, it's even more challenging (or even impossible).  Life takes constant focus and energy, and yet it's still draining, hard, and rewarding, too.

*It involves sacrifice. 

*I've learned new things about the sport of running...including what "GU [pronounced 'goo'] Energy Gel Packs" are and which Clif Bars to buy (and not buy) and which socks, shorts, shirts, brands, and Camelbacks work best.  Life's all about teaching us new things, isn't it?!  I just never knew that one day I'd have a better understanding about the essentials of long-distance running.  I'm sure there are things in your lives, too, that you NEVER imagined learning about or understanding more...for better or for worse.  But every circumstance shapes us into a better person if we allow it to.

*Immediately after the race was over, Brandon and the other guys discussed their next race.  The thrill of training and then actually running the race is appealing, addicting, and builds such camaraderie.  There's an instant connection between runners. Connecting with other people helps us to remember how much we, as a human race, are more alike than we are different...and how beautiful our lives can be when we allow others to impact us.

*Brandon had a goal in mind.  A time he wanted to get to qualify for the Boston Marathon.  He kept that goal in the back of his mind...and worked HARD to achieve it.  And even though he didn't qualify for Boston, he did shave 10-minutes off of his previous marathon's finishing time.  We don't always get what we want in life...but it's okay.  I'm beyond proud of him.  And he's beyond happy with how he did.  So even though there could be disappointment, he's chosen to accept his finish time and be grateful for how well he did do.  

*Even when the race is over, the runners keep moving.  In fact, we even had to walk many blocks back to our hotel, just to reach a point of rest.  Even when I'm exhausted...physically, mentally, emotionally...I will continue to keep taking steps forward.  To keep trusting.  To keep serving. 

*Runners come in all shapes and sizes and ages.  And none of those factors completely define how good they are.  Some styles of running are unique, too, including the types of shoes (or the lack-there-of).  I'm amazed by this.  Our outward appearance doesn't determine who we'll become or what we'll be good at or how we'll get to where we want to be.  A good heart goes a long way.

*A TON of people are at the starting line and the finish line...but time and time again, the guys mentioned that it was the people that cheered them on throughout the middle of the race that inspired them or even brought them to tears.  The marching bands, the handmade posters and banners, the loud cheers of encouragement.  As us ladies stood just beyond the 13.1 mile mark and cheered perfect strangers (and our hubbies) on, people appreciated it.  They smiled.  They waved.  They thanked.  They shouted back.  We need cheerleaders...encouragers...in our lives and shouldn't take them for granted.  A simple smile or word of encouragement can turn your day around or completely change your outlook on something.  

*Security was tight.  Intense.  Police officers were at every single intersection and lined the final legs of the race.  Helicopters circled overhead while bomb sniffing dogs circled the crowd below.  Bag searches were enforced.  And all for good reasons.  We have boundaries in our lives, too.  They keep us safe and provide us with a sense of security.


*************

And so, as we embarked on the weekend that my hubby and his friends ran their marathon [exactly one week ago], I anticipated the race along with him.  It's exciting.  It's scary.  It's amazing.  And yet even this kind of race isn't possible without recognizing our dependence on God.  For it is through God that we are able to do all things...including running a marathon, including living life.


"...Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."  Hebrews 12:1

No comments:

Post a Comment