Saturday, January 11, 2014

Winter, the real Spring. Say what?


When I first read this quote in a Real Simple magazine back in the Fall, it got me thinking.  I've never been a huge fan of Winter time.  I don't love the cold weather.  I don't love the dry air in our home or the headaches caused by the weather.  I don't love when snow or ice cause traveling to become dangerous or prevent the normal routines of life to go on.  I also don't love how our daylight is so limited during the winter months.  

Blah. Blah. Blah.  

It might sound like I'm whining.  And I admit that I might be.  Ha!  Every ounce of me, though, loves warmer weather, sunshine, and flowers, gardening, the beach, cooking on the grill, and spending evenings outdoors.

But there's such truth behind the words of this quote.  

For if it weren't for Winter and cold and rest, there wouldn't be the necessary preparation for Spring and warmth and growth.  What symbolism this quote holds for our own lives as well!  For if my life doesn't have times of darkness, hardships, and trials, I might never see the beauty or truly understand the gifts that life can provide when they arrive.  And in the midst of those difficult times, if I don't choose to look inside myself, dig deep, seek hope and peace, take ownership in and responsibility for my situation, and allow myself to become teachable and humbled by the events, I won't be ready to truly embrace the opportunities that lie ahead.  Much like this quote mentions, I won't allow the resurgence to happen unless I allow the necessary steps to take place.  

My desire is that this quote brings you HOPE...in the midst of these cold days of January...as we patiently wait for SPRING to arrive.  At just the right time.  


************


"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens:

a time to be born and a time to die,
a time to plant and a time to uproot,
a time to kill and a time to heal,
a time to tear down and a time to build,
a time to weep and a time to laugh,
a time to mourn and a time to dance,
a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them,
a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing,
a time to search and a time to give up,
a time to keep and a time to throw away,
a time to tear and a time to mend,
a time to be silent and a time to speak,
a time to love and a time to hate,
a time for war and a time for peace."       
Ecclesiastes 3:1-7




No comments:

Post a Comment