Friday, May 10, 2013

"Mother's Day" Reflection

Mother's Day is all the buzz right now.

TV commercials.  Pinterest ideas.  Advertisements in store fronts.

Ideas of things to get your mom.  Reminders to make reservations at her favorite restaurant chain.  Subtle (and not-so-subtle) suggestions of what every mom needs and has to have.

This Mother's Day is going to be different for me.  You see, this year my mom will be recovering from a recent surgery.  We don't know, yet, whether she'll spend Mother's Day in the hospital or adjusting to life at home as she recovers.  And it doesn't matter.  Because this year, I'm thankful to just be able to celebrate and honor her.

Sitting there in her hospital room each morning this week with her has reminded me of how grateful I am to have her in my life.  I've been blessed, truly blessed, to have a great mom...who's a good role model, gives selflessly, loves unconditionally, and does an intentional job of blessing me (and others) with random acts of kindness constantly.  And sitting there with her in her hospital room, I am reminded of all of the lives she's touched by her friends and relatives that stop by to visit, by the cards she's received, by the flowers and gifts neatly placed on the shelves in her room.  Those sweet gifts remind me that she's deeply loved and that she shows love to many around her.

I know Mother's Day is not an easy holiday for many.  And it wasn't always an easy holiday for me in the midst of our years of infertility and longing to become a mom.  But even in those difficult years, I could always find great joy in the Mother's Day holiday by focusing on my mom, rather than on focusing on the holiday that I longed to celebrate personally.  Mother's Days were still bittersweet for me in those tender years, but I was thankful to be able to shift my focus from myself and my own struggles and onto my amazing mom and the impact that she's had on my life.

I know how much Mother's Day means to my mom.  And just because we can't take her out to lunch or go on a fun adventure this year doesn't mean we can't fill her day with lots of joy, laughter, and love!  I love you, Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment