Monday, May 13, 2013

Sharing Mother's Day

A few days ago, I blogged about why Mother's Day was going to be extra special for me this year.  And as Sunday came and went, I was blessed to spend both the morning and a portion of the evening with my mom in her hospital room as she finished up her recovery.  (A praise - She is now home!)  I wouldn't have wanted to spend it any other way.

And as today rolled around, I was finally able to put into words ANOTHER REASON why my heart felt so thankful for Mother's Day this year:

Mya's birthmom.  

You see, if it weren't for her, I would even be able to celebrate the day.  For so many years, I longed to celebrate Mother's Day.  And as I waited, I loved to celebrate my own mom...and still do.  But my heart longed to be the mother that was being honored and celebrated.

And this year as Mya teetered into the room holding a gift for me, a coloring picture, and a card, I couldn't help but be filled with great joy and thankfulness to see that she knows and understands that I'm her mom...not biologically...but in every other way.  And yet, her biological mom will always be a part of her, too.  I feel, in a way, like I share Mother's Day with Mya's birthmom...and I'm totally okay with that.  I wanna honor her, too.

Mother's Day is just another moment each year that I am reminded of Mya's birthmom's selfless decision to give life to our family.

As I look at Mya's big brown eyes, her silly facial expressions, her fun, curly hair, it doesn't matter to me that she and I don't look alike.  It doesn't matter to me that she didn't grow in my belly.  It doesn't matter that she may have totally different interests, likes, and favorites than me one day.  What matters is that she's my daughter...that I'm her mother...and that by the grace of God, we will do our best to journey through life together, loving one another and continuing to push one another to be the best we can be.

With a grateful heart, I thank Mya's birthmom for her precious gift to our family...which has made my heart whole.  


2 comments:

  1. Beautifully said!! Thanks for sharing Kristen!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Deanna...and you're very welcome! :)

      Blessings,
      Kristen

      Delete