Tuesday, August 6, 2013

End-of-Summer Blues

Every August, the end-of-summer blues set in for me.  I can remember even as a child dreading the reality that school was going to start back up again in just a few weeks...once August 1st rolled around on the calendar.  I loved school (and have amazing memories of it) but missed the freedom of summer and feared that my new teacher, specifically in elementary school years, wouldn't like me and dreaded the reality of homework starting back up again.  I thought those end-of-summer blues would fade away after graduation.  But then I decided to get a teaching degree and also marry a teacher...so even though I wasn't going to be the student anymore, I would still experience those anxious weeks leading up to the start of a new school year.

I get butterflies in my stomach as I think about sending my hubby off to his first day of school and spending days explaining to Mya why he won't be at home when she wakes up in the morning.

I'm sad that our HOT summer days are beginning to transition into COOLER, more Fall-like ones.

I notice that the evening's daylight is getting shorter and shorter.

And reality sets in.  School is just around the corner.

But this year, I'm trying to intentionally choose to not dread the weeks leading up to school...but rather, I'm embracing all the excitement that these coming weeks can (and WILL) hold.  I still find my mind thinking about it, but at least I'm able to quickly reshift my focus.

So here's what I AM looking forward to about the next couple of weeks...

*Peach-picking season is almost here!  Cherry Hill Orchard here we come.  :)
*Apple season and making applesauce is just around the corner.
*Fair season is also right around the corner.  More and more, I just LOVE our local fairs and all that they offer to our little ones (and I appreciate the fairs so much more now that I am an adult.)
*"Connections" is starting back up again soon.
*We love cooking out and entertaining and look forward to more get-togethers with family & friends.
*A new dance year will soon be here!
*Local, roadside farm stands are PACKED with fresh foods...and our little garden continues to bless us, too.
*Our annual church picnic is coming soon.  I just love this event.
*Plans are in the making to reunite with Mya's birth-family again...but this time here close to home...and my parents will get visit with them as well.

I do realize, too, that some of you are reading this and absolutely cannot wait to send your kids BACK to school.  I don't judge you.  Really I don't.  But may you enjoy and cherish these last few weeks of summer break with the children in your life, too.  In my next post, I'll share with you some end-of-summer activities, ideas, and events.



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I happen to love back-to-school time! Fall is my favorite time of year. So cool and fresh. After long days, the kids need some structure and some brain food. I can imagine it's hard though to be a teacher and/or married to a teacher!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, JJ. There are aspects of Fall that I do love, too...and I totally understand where you're coming from. Yes, kids do need that structure and opportunity to learn. I agree! Enjoy the last couple of weeks before school starts.

      Love,
      Kristen

      Delete