Monday, December 16, 2013

Becoming Friends (Part Two)

A couple of weeks ago, a sweet elderly Amish lady became friends with Mya and me while grocery shopping.  Click <here> to read details about how this friendship began.  And as the previous blog post mentioned, "Rebecca" asked us if we'd enjoy going for lunch with her before Christmas.

My gut reaction - Of course we'd love to go to lunch with her!  

A new week meant another trip to the grocery store.   As Mya and I made our way to the appropriate aisle in the grocery store, there stood Rebecca, diligently working.  She greeted us with her normal bright smile and expressions of joy and excitement for seeing Mya again.  She quickly reached into a box and pulled out a card for us; a Christmas card with a hand-written note in it.  Inside that card was an invitation [again] to gather together for a meal.

We exchanged phone numbers this time.  Discussed possible dates to get together.  And arranged for me to call her.  The idea of sharing a meal together was becoming a very real possibility.  The very next day, we connected on the phone.  And as I chatted with this sweet lady over the phone, sometimes straining to understand her words because of the "Dutchy-ness" in her voice, plans were finalized for us to pick up her and her husband at their home and travel together to a local restaurant for supper.  As we repeated the details of our adventure before ending our phone conversation, she giggled with excitement.  I couldn't help but smile, too.

The paths of two very different families crossed, over that meal.

As I type this post, I smile as I think back to our time with Rebecca and David.  An elderly Amish couple, filled with so much love and generosity and kindness.  I don't think our paths crossed randomly with Rebecca and David.  This felt like an opportunity to learn something from them.  And it ended up being a chance for us to begin sharing with them a bit about us and about our family and how Mya joined our family, as well.  At times, conversations were minimal and maybe even a little awkward...but other times, there was laughter and non-stop chatting among us.  People stared at us.  But it didn't matter.  I wondered what they thought or what questions ran through their minds.  And in the end, we realized how much we actually had in common with a couple that seemed so different from us.  I love when that happens.

There was no life-changing event that took place during our meal with Rebecca and David.  I couldn't help but remember, though, that this event wouldn't have happened if Mya hadn't said hello to Rebecca...weeks ago.  We never know just how much we're impacting those around us.  I am so thankful for Rebecca's love for little Mya.  Each time we continue to see her at the grocery store, we're greeted with the same bright smile (...and often a small gift or two...), and today, she whispered to me how much she loves seeing Mya; how much it makes her day.

Rebecca's love and generosity is a true gift to us.  Maybe more than she'll ever know.  And I hope to be just like her when I grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment